Tengumai Junmai Umajun / 天狗舞 純米 旨醇
Brewed by Shata Brewery, the brewery is now managed by the 8th generation descendant, Kazunari Shata.
Shata Brewery is one of the few breweries that still makes its high quality sake by the classic and laborious brewing method called "Yamahai" during the production of the yeast starter mash.
Regarded by many Japanese connoisseurs as the best Yamahai sake and highly reputed among world wine connoisseurs as well. The flagship sake, "Junmai Yamahaijikomi", won a gold medal among Junmai sake category at the 2011's London International Wine Challenge.
Scroll below for more information.
- 720ML per bottle
- Prefecture: Ishikawa
- About the sake: "Umajun" means "Rich Umami Taste" with concentrated flavour of Gohyakumangoku rice polished to 60%.
- Aroma: Apple, pear, muscat, mushroom, hazelnut, elegant
- Palate: Dry, medium-bodied, moderate-umami, vivid acidity, fresh, elegant
- Finish: Long finish, commanding
- Alc %: 15.7%
- Rice variety: Gohyakumangoku
- About the brewery: At the time of foundation, Shata Brewery was surrounded by dense forest, and it looked as if Tengu (天狗), an uncanny creature in Japanese culture folklore seen as a guardian of mountains, were living in the forest. The brewery name "Tengumai", comes from the idea that even a mysterious Tengu would feel like dancing after drinking this sake. Ever since then, the Shata family has continued to make sakes in the beautiful countryside.